The Richard A. Berman Leadership Award
for Human Rights
The Richard A. Berman Leadership Award for Human Rights honors the longstanding commitment and dedication of President Richard Berman to the Holocaust & Human Rights Education Center. This award recognizes President Berman's commitment to community service and the education of ethically and socially responsible leaders for the global community. It is intended to foster a sense of accomplishment and purpose in the recipient.
The Holocaust & Human Rights Education Center shares President Berman's goals. Like his commitment to academic excellence and intellectual and cultural diversity, our Organization strives to make a difference in the world by providing the public with educational programs to create ethically and socially responsible leaders.
Description of Award:
Presented annually to a student, nominated by his/her school, who has been a participant in the Human Rights Institute in the sophomore year
The Winner will be announced at the Human Rights Student Institute and will receive a certificate and a monetary prize of $500 to be adjusted periodically.
The Winner will be presented the award at the HHREC Human Rights Institute for High School Student Leaders.
Process & Nomination Criteria
- Letter of Nomination should be sent in on school stationery letterhead
- Letter of Nomination should specify the work and performance that qualify the nominee for this award, and should state clearly why the candidate merits this particular honor
- Letter of Nomination should discuss other reasons why this student stands apart from other students and should be recognized with this honor
- Candidates must be in good academic standing and their academic performance will be considered as part of the criteria for this award
- Nomination forms should be submitted to Co- Director of Education, Julie Scallero, along with a letter of nomination.
Nominations due on or before February 10, 2017
Mary Grace Henry
Bianca Maria Caggiano